Sunday, August 16, 2009

My First Real Beginner!

A few weeks ago, before my two piano students Camilla and Amelie returned to their home countries Germany and Denmark, I prayed for God to open another opportunity for me to continue teaching piano. I had asked around if anyone from school or church wanted to learn piano, but nothing came through. I remember asking God to provide for me a new piano student before Camilla leaves.

A week before Camilla left, I believe God reminded me of a friend who had once told me that her parents are planning to send her sister for piano lessons. At that time I did not consider it. But now I remembered her, so I texted her that I’m teaching piano. I did not expect her to say yes though, cause’ they live an hour away from my place.

To my delight, she replied saying her parents were keen to send their 5 year-old daughter, Jen Vee, for lessons! However, the only problem was transport, since we live an hour away. I asked my parents if there was any way we could arrange it, but they didn’t think it’ll work out. Instead of leaving it as that, I somehow felt there’s gonna’ be a way to it, so I just committed it to God and prayed that this opportunity wouldn’t pass me by.

Amazingly, we agreed on a Sunday afternoon for Jen Vee to come to my house cause’ their church is round the corner! Man, I really thanked God for blessing me with yet another opportunity! This time, it’ll be different cause’ for the first time, I’ll be teaching a real, genuine beginner. Jen Vee is five years old and she doesn’t know a single thing about reading music notes whatsoever.

Honestly, I was a bit nervous. People often think that teaching a beginner is an easy job. Yes, it kinda’ is. But I prefer teaching those who already have a music background cause’ they already know the basics. Now I see that the hardest thing about teaching is laying the foundation and teaching the fundamentals. Man, I have a heavy responsibility!

As much as I’m teaching, I am learning more. That’s why I’m making it a point to write it in my online journal lest I forget. Which I will. Haha. Today we had our second lesson. Jen Vee is a fast learner! I have to hit myself for underestimating little people. I am reminded of how timid I was when I first started out at 7. I wish I had dared to ask questions and give my opinion. Ah well, you can’t compare, Aussie kids are certainly more outspoken.

One thing that I’ll want to teach my students is to play using not only our hands, but our ears. That’s one thing I never really learned. If you don’t use your ears as you ought to, playing music becomes a boring repetition of tones that is translated from the recognition of music notes. That’s what happened in the music center I went to in M’sia. I hope I can help my students to make melodies both with and without music notes.

I find that with every new thing I’m discovering, my interest in teaching is increasing. Certainly this is only the beginning. I’m committing every opportunity to God so that He can help me squeeze the most out of it. When God hands me lemons, I make lemonade. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment