Saturday, August 22, 2009

Melbourne Strings Festival

The latest music event that I was involved in was the annual Melbourne Strings Festival. I was part of the II Violin group in the Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Andrew Wailes and the Senior Strings Orchestra, conducted by Robyn Carrington – my current violin teacher.

The Blackburn High School Symphony Orchestra played three repertoires: Starflight Overture, Mozart’s Andante movement for the Clarinet, and Overture Festivo by Shostakovich. Man oh man, the Overture Festivo was truly a tough one to perform! There were so many running notes and big chords. I’m still struggling to keep up at some parts!

And then there’s the Mozart piece, which is fairly simple-looking, but in actual fact, a tough one to master. It is one of the most well-known movements in Mozart’s day and the entire orchestra is actually accompanying a solo clarinet player. Many orchestras find it difficult to play cause’ it requires tip-top intonation and tone. That makes it a very “exposed” piece – a little mistake by one person and the overall sound is ruined. We are still attempting to master these pieces as a whole.

For the Symphony Orchestra, we practice 2 hours a week, and 1 hour extra for our separate section. Even so, it is not enough. I have so many things to work on that sometimes I just have no choice but to neglect the orchestra work (unfortunately)!

I always find it amazing that such beautiful music can be produced when all these complex instruments are played together. And not just playing any sound, but something that flows together. As much as it sounds so beautiful, I must also come back to reality when it comes to “practice makes perfect”. No repertoire can be beautiful unless practice and real effort is put into it. Sometimes I wonder why oh why I am doing all this. Why don’t I just settle with listening to music?

I guess I’m just not meant to settle for listening to music. I need to make some of my own noise. I need to make music!!!

Here is a video my dad took of the Overture Festivo at the Robert Blackwood Hall – the largest music hall in Monash University, Clayton. Like Mr. Wailes said, “It’s a really showy piece.” Loud, brassy, fast and vigorous strings, animated flutes and all that.



Our next performance would be next Saturday’s Southstreet competition in Ballarat, about an hour away. It’s an annual competition between the various school bands and orchestras around Melbourne. Hopefully I’ll be able to bring my camera. Hear from me soon. Have a jolly weekend! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment