Monday, October 5, 2009

Expectations

I realize that when a teacher expects little of her student, there’s no motivation for the student to excel. Small expectations result in mediocrity. High expectations inspire excellence.

At first, it was difficult for me to live up to the high expectations that my music teacher had, but in the long run, it proved to be a good thing for both of us. Her high expectations spurred and motivated me to do more than what I thought I was capable of. It’s not easy, but it is worth the extra effort.

I learn that when a teacher expects great things of a student, the student will almost willingly want to excel and show the teacher that it is nothing too impossible.

Although I think we all know this, many times we still see teachers who don’t care any better and they don’t expect anything of the students at all. In truth, I’m tired of such teachers. I often end up wasting my time in school cause’ the whole class is in a racket (yes, even in Year 10) precisely because the teacher has lost control by not having any expectations of the class. Of course, it is a challenge, but then I suppose that’s why outstanding teachers and exceptional students (who willingly want to excel because they are motivated by the teacher) are a rarity.

I think this is something I can learn from and apply to in my life and also when teaching my piano students.

No comments:

Post a Comment